Fictive Realities: Architecture and Zine Project
Architecture and publication have evolvingly been interdependent in the presence of books, magazines, and digital information systems. It is both association of disciplines in which paved to a growing promotion of works and communication of an idea. This dynamic is more complex, nuanced, and expansive over time — how the information of physicality is converted as a way of seeing and as a design driver.
It is a dynamic of defining architecture in multifaceted philosophies that were engaged in this medium; and vice versa, to alter the former. The emergence of new platforms in a publication such as our social media has ongoing dissemination of content accessible through our smartphones- is also raising new questions and arteries for testing new theories. It is intriguing how the intimate relationship between the two is cross-pollinating towards the re/birth of the medium.
Zines are resurfacing and have been growing an appeal towards the younger generation for its intimate connection between the creator and its audience. This for one is a product of publication being rethink from early modernism- as an outlet to materialize rejected sci-fi stories- such as the creation of comic book hero: Superman. These media cover topics of interest including fiction, politics, poetry, arts & design, social theories, journals, and so forth. It is exchanged within a small group for the pleasure of others who share the same interest.
Zines are less accessible as compared to the mass media such as Instagram, Tiktok, and Twitter for liberating expression of ideas and promotion of work that has its niche, It is practiced against the algorithm of our go-to apps for the benefit of defining and testing a different approach, assumption, argument, or concept which may be a taboo with the existing institutions. It is best to revel in with ideas that are uncontested with interests. The goal of it beyond is to hone individual skills and talent, towards balanced media consumption, and to share a niche subject as opposed to seeking profit.
ARCHITECTURE AS AN OUTLET FOR PASSION
I am introducing Fictive Realities, a passion project aiming to contextualize the writings of a doctor in history from the University of Oxford and a lecturer from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Yuval Noah Harrari, with current affairs that shape the emergent futures of the communities I belong (the ASEAN region rather). This will involve selected news and articles from reputable media channels to form precis that aims to maintain a clear picture of the threats of ecological cataclysms, nuclear war, and technological disruptions that are highly relevant in my generation. It follows the production of the zine as a medium which allows continuing to share the way we think about architecture in ways of 1) Understanding architecture which may be a potential solution, 2) Architecture which connects us with our emotions, 3) Architecture to inspire in us some new feeling.
Understanding architecture which is a reaction- As we alter our attitude towards our generation, our goal is to understand as deeply as possible how profoundly the spirit of our generation and the time we have to live in influence understanding the world. We try to define certain issues that we observe based on our generation that we choose to define. This is to enlighten how design drives can illuminate the status quo- may it be fictional, is an initiative for a possible reaction. The role of architecture can cross-discipline in reactions of:
- Disillusionment- How do we introduce a new socio-political model? The development of infotech and biotech has social and political implications.
- Work- How do we slow down the pace of change, and what to do if job loss outstrips job creation? The development of artificial intelligence can outperform humans. Jobs are threatened by automation, machine learning, and robotics.
- Liberty-How do we introduce new socioeconomic models? We are investing so heavily in political and economical needs rather than our own long-term needs as a conscious person.
- Equality- How do we regulate ownership of data? Property is a prerequisite for long term inequality
Architecture for our resilience- The appreciation of architecture also has its symbols which allows us to connect our works profoundly with a tone. The millennial for example displayed an idealism for living, work, and play. Henceforth defining our tone in this period personally or collectively towards an event or a particular configuration. We continuously understand the meaning, learn, or to simply cope. These are scoped in the following.
- Education- How do we make sense of information to tell the difference of what is important and to combine many bits of information into a broad picture of the world? To succeed in such a daunting task you will need to know what you are and what you want from life.
- Meaning- If we cannot leave something tangible behind- such as a gene or a poem- perhaps is it enough to make the world a little better? What we know and we don’t know keeps on changing.
- Meditation- How do we get in touch with reality? Brain research and meditation must complement it.
Architecture to inspire in us a collective feeling- Architecture can be an outlet to define how the built environment could be. Discourse towards contested spaces, social issues towards the urban landscape, and many more are progressing; but, stressful. What if it has resulted in a particular result with a feeling? What if a place is altered towards a subject of personal indulgence? What if there’s a place that seems a counter content against the volatile thing that is going on? The role of architecture can cross-discipline to inspire a new feeling towards:
- Community- How can we financially support community services? The algorithm may be good for navigating vehicles and curing disease, but when it comes to solving social problems, we should still rely on people.
- Nationalism- How do we value our culture and tradition while providing military and economic protective shell? We now have global ecology, global economy, and global science but we are still stuck with only national politics.
- Religion — How can holy scriptures guide us in the era of artificial intelligence, bioengineering, global warming, and cyberwarfare? So far, modern ideologies, scientific experts, and national governments have failed to create a viable vision for the future of humanity.
- Immigration- How do we allow immigrants, adapt to common norms and values, and assimilate? Unlike traditional racist bigotry, culturism has a much firmer scientific basis.
ZINES AS AN UNTAPPED OPPORTUNITY FOR AN ARCHITECTURAL COMMUNITY
Architecture and zine has great opportunities for honing skills in both disciplines, balances media consumption, and can establish an offline community. What is more exciting is how both can tap into our creative process towards different possibilities as complicated as it is intriguing. Fictive Realities zine project is meaning to have a small gathering for people my age with a venue I’m trying to close, to save a four to five-figure budget, hopefully on the 1st quarter of 2021 if permits, find optimistic works grounded with given threads. If you find yourself interested in helping tackle these constraints will be appreciated. More information will be shared on its Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/fictive.realities.zine/ .